It begins with a conversation between Mother Talzin and Count Dooku about finding a new assassin/bodyguard for Count Dooku, we hear the following (in “Monster” (episode 3.13)):
- Mother Talzin to Count Dooku: “You have heard of the Sith warrior, Darth Maul, have you not?”
- Count Dooku to Mother Talzin: “Yes, he was slain on Naboo at the hand of Obi-Wan Kenobi.”
- Mother Talzin: “A few still remain in his bloodline. The men dwell on the far side of Dathomir. What if I could provide another of his kind?”
From this interaction, we see a few things:
- Darth Maul is not a unique creature – there are not only more of his species, there are more in his bloodline.
- The males who live on the far side of Dathomir are the counterparts to the Night Sisters.
- Both Count Dooku and Mother Talzin are familiar with Darth Maul having fought for the Sith.
Once Savage Oppress gets training and is unleashed at the battle of Devaron, footage of his carnage is viewed at the Jedi Temple by Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Mace Windu, with the following conversation (in “Witches of the Mist” (3.14)):
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: “Darth Maul alive? It can’t be! I killed him, myself.”
- Master Yoda: “Correct, you are, Obi-Wan. A creature of the same species he is from Dathomir.”
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: “Dathomir? The planet of the witches? I was under the impression that Darth Maul’s homeworld was Iridonia.”
- Mace Windu: “Dathomir is the planet where Maul was raised. Iridonia is where the rest of the males of the species dwell.”
There are further elements about Darth Maul we can glean from this trialogue:
- Obi-Wan Kenobi initially thinks that this is Darth Maul, because this is the only time he has ever come into contact with one of this species.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi thought that Darth Maul was from Iridonia (though I don’t know why) and Yoda and Mace Windu both know that there are more from his species and that there are some of his species on Dathomir, despite it being “the planet of the witches”.
Finally, at the end of “Witches of the Mist” (3.14), a broken Savage Oppress returns to Mother Talzin in search of help and receives some hope:
- Savage Oppress to Mother Talzin: “…I’m not nearly strong enough to defeat them all.”
- Mother Talzin in response to Savage Oppress: “Calm yourself, you will be.”
- Savage Oppress to Mother Talzin: “I don’t understand. Who will teach me?”
- Mother Talzin to Savage Oppress: “You have a brother.”
- Savage Oppress to Mother Talzin: “A brother?!? But all of my kin were killed!”
- Mother Talzin in response to Savage Oppress: “Not all of them,” while image of Darth Maul shows in her crystal ball.
- Mother Talzin in response to Savage Oppress: “He lives in the outer rim, in exile. You will find him. He will teach you everything you need to learn to become even more powerful.”
- Savage Oppress to Mother Talzin: “My brother – how? How will I find him?”
- Mother Talzin in response to Savage Oppress: “This talisman has been imbued with the power of our clan. It will be your compass. You have an important destiny to fulfill, Savage Oppress, you and your brother. Go. You will know where to find him.”
- Savage Oppress to Mother Talzin: “I will return, mother.”
This revelation that Darth Maul is still alive is tremendously incredible! When I first watched this, I could not believe what I was watching! Darth Maul was clearly sliced in half and surely fell to his certain death – how could he be alive?!? I was very upset when I saw this episode and reveal, because he was surely dead – why would they pull a stunt like this?!