Last night, ABC aired a version of “Spark of Rebellion” that had, as a prologue, a dialogue between Darth Vader and the Inquisitor. This was significant for three reasons
- It was aired on ABC, giving “Star Wars Rebels” a much greater exposure than on the Disney Channel, on which it was aired a little over three weeks ago, which should be good for a better sense of people knowing it exists
- It was James Earl Jones voicing Darth Vader, which is fantastic!
- Finally, it added some more background to the very brief introduction we get to the Inquisitor, whom we see at the very end of “Spark of Rebellion” (which was caused by Kanan’s revealing himself to be a Jedi).
Darth Vader: “The Jedi Knights are all but destroyed and yet your task is not complete, Inquisitor. The Emperor has foreseen a new threat rising against him – the children of the Force. They must not become Jedi.”
The Inquisitor: “Yes, Lord Vader.”
Darth Vader: “Hunt down this new enemy. And, if they will not serve the Empire, eliminate them along with any surviving Jedi who will train them. This is my master’s command..”
The Inquisitor: “And so it will be done.”
What we see from Darth Vader:
- Jedi are almost totally destroyed
- The Inquisitor is the one who is tasked with killing off the Jedi and has been killing off the remaining Jedi out there
- The Emperor fears these children of the Force and wants them dead
What this new introduction does is to not only inform us that Jedi are almost totally wiped out (although one could have figured that out from inferences in the original “Spark of Rebellion”), but that The Inquisitor is the one tasked with their demise, as well as why anyone might want to hunt down and kill even Ezra, who is not a Jedi.
Although I do not have any expectations of Disney/ABC coming out with any more inclusions of appearances of a James Earl Jones-voiced Darth Vader in “Star Wars Rebels”, it does give us fans hope that there could be more….